Monday, April 20, 2015

Hitting the Highway

Not certain how much I'll be posting over the next two weeks.  Will leave Campion early tomorrow morning for a two week "road trip" that will include two lectures, one baptism, and our 40th Med School reunion on Saturday 25 April in Philadelphia.  Very much looking forward to the reunion and the chance to spend a free day in Philly with the camera.  Some of us will get together on Friday night for beer and pizza at one classmate's house.  She suggested a yearbook review as well.  That should be good for a number of laughs.  

Will be giving a talk on how we die in State College, PA.  Very much looking forward to that trip as I will have a free day to wander town and campus with the camera.  Once I return I hope to stay put during the month of May.  Staying put is, of course, a relative term.  I will be in CT for a few days toward the end of the month but compared with the upcoming trip that is staying local in a relative sense of the term.  No flying anticipated until August.  Then it is time to cash in some frequent flyer miles and go to LA for vows.  

A few disparate photos that I will be using as background etc. for the new talk.  

The Jesuit dining room/kitchen in Saigon.  As soon as I post this I head to breakfast.  I don't like grapefruit.  I don't know if those green things are grapefruit or a sort of hybrid unique to the tropics.  However, after eating one of those it became a daily practice.  Sweet.  Juicy.  

This is a manipulated photo taken during a late afternoon at Sun Moon Lake in Taiwan.  Sun Moon Lake remains one of my favorite spots on earth.   I like being able to play with the color and tint of something like this.

The Church of St. George in Lyon.  I went to Mass there often as it was at 5 PM.  I could walk there from the community in a matter of minutes.  All Masses were in the extraordinary form.  The stained glass behind the altar was shades of yellow, gold and ochre.  

I've forgotten the name of the church here.  I believe it was the site of the tomb of the foundress of the Religious of Jesus and Mary.  This was not too far from St. Georges.  Lyon is a city of many churches.

Votive candles in the Cathedral of St. Jean in Lyon.  
+Fr. Jack, SJ, MD

No comments:

Post a Comment