Wednesday, December 23, 2020

22 December


 

O Rex gentium, et desideratus earum, 

lapisque angularis, qui facis utraque unum:

veni, et salva hominem, 

quem de limo formasti.

 

O King of the gentiles and their desired One, 

the cornerstone that makes both one: 

come, and deliver man, 

whom you formed out of the dust of the earth.

 



 

Photo:  The holy oils at the Cathedral of St. Matthew in Washington, D.C. 

The sacraments of baptism, confirmation, ordination, and the anointing of the sick include anointing with specifically blessed oils: the oil of catechumens, sacred chrism, and the oil of the infirm. 

 

Meditation:   Both the Old and New Testaments refer to the king being anointed with oil.  David was anointed with oil.  Jesus' feet were anointed with oil just before his death.   The anointing we receive at baptism and confirmation joins us to Him in a share of His Passion.  Consider the great gift of anointing.  What does it mean to me? 

 

Prayer:

 

The Anima Christi appears on the fly-leaf of The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola.  It is an ancient prayer that was not written by Ignatius.  However, it is obvious Ignatius knew the prayer and entered deeply into it.

 

Anima Christi, sanctifica me.

Corpus Christi, salva me.

Sanguis Christi, inebria me.

Aqua lateris Christi, lava me.

Passio Christi, conforta me.

O bone Jesu, exaudi me.

Intra tua vulnera absconde me.

Ne permittas me separari a te.

Ab hoste maligno defende me.

In hora mortis meae voca me.

Et iube me venire ad te,

Ut cum Sanctis tuis laudem te.

In saecula saeculorum.

 

Amen


                                                                        

Soul of Christ, sanctify me 

Body of Christ, save me 

Blood of Christ, inebriate me 

Water from Christ's side, wash me     

Passion of Christ, strengthen me 

O good Jesus, hear me 

Within Thy wounds hide me 

Suffer me not to be separated from Thee 

From the malicious enemy defend me 

In the hour of my death call me 

And bid me come unto Thee 

That I may praise Thee with Thy saints 

and with Thy angels 

Forever and ever.    


Lagniappe:

 

Anima Christi (sung)

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phGDR9y912s

No comments:

Post a Comment