Saturday, September 2, 2023

No Trickery Involved: Homily for the 22nd Sunday in Ordinary Time

 

Jeremiah 20:7-9

Ps 63

Rom 12:1-2

Mt 16:21-27

 

Among the most useful bits of advice given in theology school was that when preparing to preach, write a paper, or even for personal devotion, it is important to read more than one translation. This is particularly true in English in which there are multiple translations that vary tremendously in style, grammar, and wording. 

 

There are revisions of revisions, new versions of old versions, new versions of revised versions, and so on.  Some are written in lofty and elegant language while others approach slang.  One version of a reading may resonate more with a reader

than an alternative.  At times it helps to pay attention to subtle shades of meaning

of a particular word or phrase.  Depending on the translation they can have a significant impact on our understanding of the reading. 

 

Sometimes a “non-official reading” works better when preaching than the one found in the lectionary.  Such is the case today. 

 

We just heard, “You duped me O Lord and I let myself be duped.”  Duped is not in common use today.  I suspect it is unfamiliar to those  who are not native English speakers and possibly unfamiliar to a lot of native speakers as well.  Duped means tricked or fooled.

 

The King James Version and the Catholic RSV use: “O Lord, you have deceived me and I was deceived.”

 

A version in common English is accusatory when it writes, “You tricked me Lord and I was really fooled.”  

 

However, The Jerusalem Bible gets it right: “You have seduced me Yahweh, and I let myself be seduced.”

 

Deceived. Duped.  Tricked.  Seduced. Conceptual overlap to be sure but each has distinct nuances of meaning.  Deceived has entirely negative connotations of being lied to. Duped also suggests a dishonest approach that takes advantage of another.

Calling someone a dupe is never a compliment. 

 

Tricked is well, tricked.  Pulled the wool over the eyes.  Fooled.  The old switcherooni.

 

Seduced is the only one of these that truly works when applied to God.  Seduced has multiple meanings, among which one finds: To win over, to attract powerfully. 

 

“You attracted me powerfully and I allowed myself to be attracted.”  “You won me over .“ There is no hint that God lied, was dishonest, engaged in subterfuge, or used trickery. 

You attracted me strongly and I allowed myself to be attracted.  You called to me in a powerful voice and I followed.  You waited until I came to my senses. So much better than hinting that God pulled a fast one, tricked, or deceived.  God calls.  God beckons. God invites.  He wins over. He does not trick, deceive or dupe. 

 

Saint Augustine, for his part, got it right. In one of his most eloquent and resonant  passages, that was the second reading in the breviary on his August 28 memorial.  He wrote:

 

“Late have I loved you,

O beauty ever ancient ever new . . .

You were within me but I was outside. . .

You were with me, but I was not with you . . .

You called, you shouted and you broke through my deafness . . .

You breathed your fragrance on me . . .

You dispelled my blindness . . .

You touched me and I burned for your peace . . . “

 

 

There certainly is nothing suggesting trickery, chicanery, or duping in Jesus’ words to the apostles. “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me.  For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.” 

 

Jesus is not promising an easy life free of pain, suffering, or trial.  He is telling it like it is.

like it was, and like it will always be for those who choose to follow him, for those who allow themselves to be seduced. 

 

“God forbid that this should be so . . . .”  Peter’s denial of Jesus’ statement of reality,

earned him a harsh rebuke.  We are not to think as Peter did.  Rather we are to accept the reality that it ain’t easy and it ain‘t gonna be easy.  But we know that. We have known that from the beginning.  No deception or chicanery involved.

 

In his letter Paul gives sage advice against taking the easy way, the soft way, the way of those who deceive and dupe when he advises, “Do not conform yourselves to this age.” 

Especially this age in the U S of A, an age in which “sin” “immoral” and “wrong” have been stripped of all meaning.  

 

“You have seduced me and I allowed myself to be seduced.”  When we can say that we can also sing with the psalmist:

 

“I will bless  you while I live;

lifting up my hands,

I will call upon your name.

As with the riches of a banquet

shall my soul be satisfied,

and with exultant lips

my mouth shall praise you.”


___________________________________________________

Returned from my annual eight-day retreat on Thursday.  I was fortunate to make it at Holy Trinity Monastery, the monastery of the Maronite Monks of Adoration in Petersham, MA, about 75 minutes to the west of Boston.  It was a deeply consoling retreat.  I no longer need to figure out where to go on retreat.  This will be the house as long as I am able.  The liturgy was beautiful and very reverent.  The setting very quiet.  The darkness at night was total.  

 

Did a bit of photography.  

 

 


Have never seen mushrooms like this.  Any mycologists?

Fascinating shape.

The monastery.  The building to the right is the guest house.  Small rooms with a private entrance onto a porch. 

                                            Saint Sharbel, the mystic of the East


The monastic church.

My room faced the sunrise directly east.

The rays of the sun were exquisite for a very short period just after Mass.

 

 Fr. Jack, SJ, MD

 

No comments:

Post a Comment