Monday, July 31, 2017

Feast of St. Ignatius

July 31 is the major holiday for the men of the Society of Jesus.  In Ljubljana two of the men, Fathers Marjan Kokalj, SJ and Ivan Platovnjak, SJ will pronounce their final vows at Mass at sv. Jože.  I wish I were still there for that but the vow Mass was set well after I arrived with return plans already in place.  I will celebrate two Masses at two different nursing homes.  Rev. Mr. Evarist Shigi, SJ, of Tanzania, a deacon, will go with me to proclaim the gospel and preach.  The community at Campion will celebrate with vespers in the Chapel of the Holy Spirit followed by a festive dinner.  

Officially founded in 1540 though the roots stretch back about twenty years previously the Society founded by Ignatius and his first companions changed, and has continued to influence, the history of the world.  Having lived a life of many graces I can say the greatest of those was entering the Society twenty years ago next month.  

The photo is a painting of Ignatius on the wall of the domestic chapel at sv. Jože in LJ.  

St. Ignatius, Founder of the Society of Jesus, pray for us. 

+Fr. Jack, SJ, MD

No comments:

Post a Comment